1.What are the disciplines on which JEST examination is conducted?
- You can appear for the JEST examination in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science but not for both.
2. Are there different tests for admission in Integrated Ph. D & Ph. D. programmes?
- No. A common examination is conducted both for Ph. D. and integrated Ph. D. programmes.
3. Is there any limit to the number of times one can apply for JEST examination?
- No, there is no such restriction on the number of times one can appear for the JEST examination.
4. Is there any age limit for taking JEST examination?
- There is no restriction on age for appearing in JEST examination. However, each participating institute has its own eligibility criteria. For details on the eligibility criteria of the participating institutes candidates are advised to visit their websites.
5. Is application fee of JEST examination refundable?
- An Application Fee of Rs. 400 (Rs 200 for SC/ST applicants, Rs.200/- for Female applicants) is required to be paid along with the application which can be paid online. Application fee is waived for Female applicants belonging to SC/ST which can be paid online using debit card/credit card/Net-banking. Payment by any other mode will not be accepted. The application fee once paid will NOT be refunded.
6. How to obtain the admit card?
- Admit card will be available in JEST webpage and it can be downloaded after 20th of January. Admit cards will NOT be sent by post/email. Bring a print-out of the downloaded Admit Card and one of your photo-ids to the examination center.
7. What is the level of questions in the examination ?
- The questions are based on the general syllabii of graduation and post-graduation level courses offered by various Indian universities and institutions. JEST question papers are normally not made available. However, some questions from previous year's examinations are available in this website (see below).
8. Which institutes offer a Ph.D. Degree in Theoretical Computer Science ?
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc), Chennai is the only institution which currently offers a Ph. D. in Theoretical Computer Science. Please visit IMSc webpage for more information.
9. Which institutes offer a Ph.D. Degree in Neuroscience or Computational Biology?
- National Brain Research Centre (NBRC), Gurgaon is the only institution which currently offers a Ph. D. in Neuroscience. Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc) Chennai offers a PhD in Computational Biology. Please note that JEST is meant as a means for students from a Physics background to take up research in Neuroscience or Computational Biology, and interested students have to take the PHYSICS JEST examination. Please visit the NBRC webpage or the IMSc webpage for more information.
10. Where can I get sample question papers?
- Physics Syllabus
- Physics Sample question paper
- Theoretical Computer Science preparation material
- TCS sample paper
11. What degrees does one receive in the Integrated PhD program in Theoretical Computer Science?
- Candidates receive a M. Sc. degree on completing the course requirements in the first two years of the graduate school, and a PhD degree on completing the graduate school.
12. To apply do I need to have an email-id?
- Candidates must have a valid email-id prior to registering themselves with JEST.
13. What are these email-id and password required for?
- The email-id (used as your user-id) and password (whatever you wish) are required to create an account with the JEST website for submitting the ON-LINE application form.
14. Is registration necessary? How does it work?
- Yes. Registration is a process in which your email-id and preferred password are saved in a database. On successful registration, an email will be sent to your registered email-id with a confirmation link for verification. You need to click on this link to complete the registration process. After confirming your account, use the Apply link to submit your application.
15. Is it possible to fill-up the form in fragments/parts since it is a long one?
- Yes. It is possible to fill up the form in fragments. Even one can save the form after filling the mandatory fields in the first page and enter other data in the next login. However, it is advised to do it in one go whenever one is ready with all the details.
16. Is there a provision to modify a previously saved form?
- Modification is possible upto end of Decmeber.
17. Is it possible to make payment of the application fee after submitting the application?
- NO. Further instructions will be provided later.
18. How to make the payment of the application fee?
- Fee payment can be made online by clicking the link Fee Payment which will open a page.
19. How to make the payment of the application fee?
- Fee payment can be made online by clicking the link Fee Payment which will open a page with title "Shopping Cart" with Correspondence details and "Check out" button. To proceed for payment, please enter your correspondence address and press this "Check out" button and follow the instructions as they appear. If shopping cart shows "There are no products in your shopping cart", it may be because of two reasons (a) You have not completed application by clicking "Submit Application" or (b) Empty shopping cart will be shown even if you have completed application and payment both, in that situation please check My Account for completed order.
20. My shopping cart is showing "Empty" even after submission of the Application form. What should I do?
- One of the fee option must be selected for the application fee payment while filling the application form.
- Try paying with different web browser/ differen machine. Older version of Internet Explorer has some issues reported.
- While reporting errors, please tell us the name and the version of browser you are using.
- Also ensure that cookies are disabled in your browser.
- Still if your cart is empty, please contact with your application details.
21. My Credit/Debit card is not working while paying the application fee. What should I do?
- Only Master and Visa cards are acceptable for fee payment by Credit/Debit card. If you do not have one, then take help of friends/relatives who have these cards.
22. What is the validity period of JEST score?
- JEST score is valid for only one year.
23. What is my Unique Submission Number or What Unique Number will be sent as confirmation of my form submission ?
- The Unique Submission Number will be identified by the string "Your Application form ID is XXXX"where xxxx is your application number in the mail you receive after form submission. [This number is valid only when it is received in a email from us]. An email will be sent only after successful submission of application. If you don't receive this email, then contact us immediately.
24. What is my Unique Order Number or What Unique Number will be sent as confirmation of my Payment ?
- The Unique Submission Number will be identified by the string "Order #: XXXX"where xxxx is your order number in the mail you receive after successful. [This number is valid only when it is received in a email from us]. An email will be sent only after successful payment of the application fee. If you don't receive this email, then contact us immediately with Order no., date of payment.
25. What information should be supplied in the field for "% of marks" in the qualifying examination?
- Please provide the marks obtained in the last examination you have appeared for. For example, if you are in BSc 3rd year, then provide the aggregate marks obtained in BSc 2nd year if you know it, otherwise enter "Result Awaited".
26. I am pursuing B. Tech degree in Mechanical / Civil Engineering, am I eligible for appearing in the JEST examination?
- JEST is a screening test for admission to PhD and Int. PhD programme of different participating institutes (see the list from JEST home page) in physics and theorertical computer science / neuroscience. The JEST examination is conducted for two subjects only, namely, physics and theoretical computer science. However, the qualifications for admission to the PhD and Int. PhD programme in various participating institutes are different. So the candidate is requested to visit the websites of the participating institutes of their interest to know more about the qualification requirement.